The African Penguins aren't having it easy. Their numbers are declining and often those fighting for their future feels like they are fighting a loosing battle. But they aren't giving up that fight. There are two days a year to celebrate penguins, World Penguin Day on 25 April and Penguin Awareness Day on 20 January. Yesterday was Penguin Awareness Day and for some reason I missed it. Darn! If you missed it as well, why not celebrate it today to make up for it. Visit one of the penguin colonies at Boulders in Simon's Town or the one in Betty's Bay, otherwise pop into one of the various penguin rehabilitation centres around South Africa. I live in Port Elizabeth and the South African Marine Rehabilitation and Education Centre (SAMREC) is one of my favourite attractions around. Well worth a visit and by doing so you support penguin conservation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular posts
-
Sailing into Algoa Bay as one of the 1820 British Settlers, Reverend Francis McCleland would have been standing on deck looking out over the...
-
Boys will be boys and when it comes to boys and their 4x4 toys there is no stopping them. When the South African government banned driving ...
-
Being a family on a tight budget with a couple of Rugrats in tow, the grand total of our regular eating out experience is popping into KFC f...
-
I remember the first time I went to Spier Wine Estate after Moyo opened thinking that it so doesn't fit in with Spier and it surroundi...
-
Beach or Bush? Bush or Beach? That always seem to be the choice when people do these mini surveys on where folk would like to go for their h...
-
I've been in the tourism industry for 16 years and first started out working as a tourist guide back in 1998. Back then I used to go to...
-
Johannesburg boasts that it's the world's largest man-made urban forest and that's difficult to imagine until one actually visit...
-
The Van Stadens Wildflower Reserve west of Port Elizabeth is one of the best and easiest accessible areas around to see proteas and other sp...
-
I little while ago I joined a couple of tourist guides from Port Elizabeth on a visit to Amakhala Game Reserve about 75 km east of the city....
-
Leaving the office the other day I noticed a yellow spider sitting on a plant close to the door. Don't ask me how I spotted him, I just...
No comments:
Post a Comment