Last week I saw a stunning yet very sad picture by Luc Hosten on Facebook. Two days later I was down at Cape Recife in Port Elizabeth and came across the scene photographed by Luc. The penguin wasn't in the same position anymore and I didn't want to try and recreate the exact scene anyway, so decided on something similar yet slightly further away. African Penguins are highly endangered and under immense pressure at the moment with some people giving them only 5 years if nothing major is done soon. The guys at SAMREC in Cape Recife do an awesome job with limited resources but they desperately need the support of the public and corporates to keep them up and running.
Thursday, September 20, 2012
Penguins under pressure
Kategori
beach treasures,
Cape Recife,
coastal,
Eastern Cape,
PE Beaches,
Port Elizabeth
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular posts
-
Sailing into Algoa Bay as one of the 1820 British Settlers, Reverend Francis McCleland would have been standing on deck looking out over the...
-
Boys will be boys and when it comes to boys and their 4x4 toys there is no stopping them. When the South African government banned driving ...
-
Being a family on a tight budget with a couple of Rugrats in tow, the grand total of our regular eating out experience is popping into KFC f...
-
I remember the first time I went to Spier Wine Estate after Moyo opened thinking that it so doesn't fit in with Spier and it surroundi...
-
Beach or Bush? Bush or Beach? That always seem to be the choice when people do these mini surveys on where folk would like to go for their h...
-
I've been in the tourism industry for 16 years and first started out working as a tourist guide back in 1998. Back then I used to go to...
-
Johannesburg boasts that it's the world's largest man-made urban forest and that's difficult to imagine until one actually visit...
-
The Van Stadens Wildflower Reserve west of Port Elizabeth is one of the best and easiest accessible areas around to see proteas and other sp...
-
I little while ago I joined a couple of tourist guides from Port Elizabeth on a visit to Amakhala Game Reserve about 75 km east of the city....
-
Leaving the office the other day I noticed a yellow spider sitting on a plant close to the door. Don't ask me how I spotted him, I just...

No comments:
Post a Comment