Just Nuisance, along with Jock of the Bushveld, are probably the two most famous dogs in South Africa. Nuisance, a Great Dane, was born in 1937 and as his owner worked at the naval base he started hanging out with the sailors. Nuisance roamed around freely and began to take day trips by train with the sailors, going as far afield as Cape Town. Although the seamen tried hiding him the conductors would find him and put him off the trains. The railway company eventually warned that Nuisance would have to be put down unless he was prevented from boarding the trains. This news came as a shock and the the Navy decided to officially enlist him which meant that as a member of the armed forces he would be allowed on the trains AND receive free rail travel. He was enlisted on 25 August 1939. His surname was entered as "Nuisance" and rather than leaving the forename blank he was christened "Just". His trade in the navy was listed as "Bonecrusher". Just Nuisance died in 1944 and was buried with full military honours and a monument was erected in Jubilee Square in Simon's Town. Read the whole story of Just Nuisance, the only dog ever to be officially enlisted in the Royal Navy, on Wikipedia.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular posts
-
Sailing into Algoa Bay as one of the 1820 British Settlers, Reverend Francis McCleland would have been standing on deck looking out over the...
-
Boys will be boys and when it comes to boys and their 4x4 toys there is no stopping them. When the South African government banned driving ...
-
Being a family on a tight budget with a couple of Rugrats in tow, the grand total of our regular eating out experience is popping into KFC f...
-
I remember the first time I went to Spier Wine Estate after Moyo opened thinking that it so doesn't fit in with Spier and it surroundi...
-
Beach or Bush? Bush or Beach? That always seem to be the choice when people do these mini surveys on where folk would like to go for their h...
-
I've been in the tourism industry for 16 years and first started out working as a tourist guide back in 1998. Back then I used to go to...
-
Johannesburg boasts that it's the world's largest man-made urban forest and that's difficult to imagine until one actually visit...
-
The Van Stadens Wildflower Reserve west of Port Elizabeth is one of the best and easiest accessible areas around to see proteas and other sp...
-
I little while ago I joined a couple of tourist guides from Port Elizabeth on a visit to Amakhala Game Reserve about 75 km east of the city....
-
Leaving the office the other day I noticed a yellow spider sitting on a plant close to the door. Don't ask me how I spotted him, I just...

No comments:
Post a Comment